About Me

My photo
Whitney's Wild World is just that . . . a little blog to chronicle the crazy times inside my wild world!! We finally made it to a family of 4 and are enjoying every day we have together!! Check up on us to see all that goes on inside Whitney's Wild World . . . . . . .

Search

Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Tavaglione Traditions

The Tavaglione name is a good one to have when you live in Riverside.  Even though growing up it might have been hard to pronounce or spell, as I got older I realized it started to mean more than I knew.  There was a beautiful article written about my family in Inland Empire Magazine and I had to share some of the words.  I thought I knew a lot about my family history but this article taught me just a little bit more.  Its pretty fun to have such a big family!!
My Papa, the 4th youngest, is one of 11 kids in the Tavaglione family 5 girls and 6 boys: Leonard, Antoinette, Dominic, Philomina, James, Victoria, Clara, Joseph Jr., Marie, Louis and Nicholas.  Joe and Mary, my great-grandparents originated from Foggia, Italy and in the early 1900's.
  They came over with 9 kids and settled in Pittston Penn. before moving further west and landing in Riverside in April 1927.  When they arrived "all we smelled was orange blossoms"  (must have been before the smog settled)  Not knowing my great-grandfather I learned that he was apparently quite the task master, my uncle Louis recalls " He was up early and taught everyone of us we had to work, whether we had to go to school or not" "Our bedrooms were upstairs. He would knock on the door once and give you enough time to get downstairs; you'd better not make him knock twice" adds Papa!!  In 1933 they built the Rubidoux winery on their property and it's 100ft tower became a Riverside landmark.  In 1959 they added Tava Lanes to their list of accomplishments.  I guess with 11 kids you have lots of help.  In their later years the Tavaglione children went on to be involved in over a dozen organizations.  "The  tone for community service and just plain working hard was set by Joe and Mary, and the children chose many paths"  Restaurant owner, nurse, business men, construction developers, homemakers, politicians, athletes and musicians. "As for the remaining 3 Tavaglione brothers, Joe, Louis, and Nick, don't be fooled by their ages.  These aren't OLD guys.  They report for work daily and remain involved in numerous civic activities." Papa is 88 years old, and people are amazed when I tell them that he still goes to work every day and travels to Sacramento almost once a week.  He tried to take a week vacation last summer and when I called to see how his vacation was going Nonnie answered and said he had to go in and check on a few things.  He just can't stay away, must be that hard core work ethic his father instilled in him!! 

I think it's pretty special to grow up in such a big family.  I only have 2 first cousins, but I have what feels like millions of 2nd cousins and a bunch of uncles and aunts.  Facebook has really kept us all in touch and even though I live in San Diego and most of my family still lives in Riverside, it's nice to see what everyone is up to and watch the family grow exponentially. I can't imagine having 11 kids I can bearly keep up with the 2 crazies I've got.  Cheers to you, Mary and Joe Sr. for growing such a marvelous family, I think you would be proud of the family you created!!

1 comment:

  1. Whitney, I loved reading this. I love your family so much. It's just so fun to read about the beginnings! I always think of you and Bryn as part Wilson! We had so many fun times with your family in those youthful years! (as for me, I'm still youthful! HA). Tavaglione's are one of my favorite Riverside memories (and of course the Gould's)! I know Emily always thought she was part Tavaglione! Wish them all well. Love to you all, Tricia Wilson

    ReplyDelete